Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving...

Today is Thanksgiving. A day that I am sure most diabetics either loathe or just let go and eat, but let's not talk about that. I want to share what I did for my Thanksgiving.

This morning I woke up at 6 AM, earlier than I have woken up in a while. I showered, dressed, and got on with my plans. Double checked my purse for all of my D supplies, printed out the Secret Santa names and wish list, ate breakfast, changed my shoes 3 times, the usual holiday prep. Around 8 AM we hit the road, with my mom asking her signature "Does everyone have the essentials?" before we left the driveway. This is a question always directed at me, and I was ready with my kit in my bag and my pump at my hip. So we were off, and after an hour we were at a rest stop and I got behind the wheel. Before I even turned the key, I check my blood sugar. 95, a little lower than I would like to drive at, I ate 15 carbs and my leg of the journey began. This lasted for about 45 minutes, because even though I ate before driving as I drove through the country roads of Lancaster I felt hot and less focused.
(Amish Horse & Buggy)

I told my mom I needed to pull over as soon as possible, so thankfully within 5 minutes we found a gas station. I checked in at 67, there was a driver switch and Swedish fish for me. After I was back into range I turned on my boy band playlist and the whole family rocked out to my lover's former band.
When we arrived, we were greeted with open arms from cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. We watched 2 parades on TV with the horrible lip syncing, and then it was game time.
(Packers v. Lions, my sister is a huge Packers fan.)

At 1PM we sat down to dinner. Stuffing, mash potatoes, sweet potatoes, vegetable medley, maple sugar brussel sprouts, rolls and turkey is the only thing with no carbs!

After the tryptophan kicked in I plopped into a chair and cuddled up for a 2 hour nap. When I woke up, the wind was blowing outside and it was time for pie! After eating enough pie to feed a small country, it was almost time to go. My little cousin Cara and I began our Secret Santa rounds. I am training her to take over as manager of the wish list and making the little name tags to put in the basket.


Then we headed home, and arrived in time to have a nice dinner of last night's leftover roast beef.

I just want to say that this year, I am definitely most thankful for all of you and the support that you have given me on my road towards better control. Happy Thanksgiving to all my virtual blessings out there!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, look how cute you are with your sister and cousin! Aside from the low in the morning, it sounds like you had a really nice Thanksgiving... yay! Hope the rest of your weekend is just as fun.

Happy Thanksgiving, Jillian!

meanderings said...

What a great photo of the three of you. I've only seen your hand before. Glad you had a great day, even if somewhat carby (so was mine).

Unknown said...

So cute! I'm so glad you posted the photo with you in it! Yay! And I am THRILLED to know your sister is a Packer fan. Having lived in Green Bay during my high school years, I, of course, love the Pack! And yes, I have a cheesehead! All my mom could talk about was the upcoming game. Did they win? I don't even know. My life is far removed here in Taiwan, so I've lost track. But once a Pack fan, always a Pack fan. We are a loyal bunch!

Glad you had a fun time. I loved reading your description of the days events! Sorry about the low while driving though. That takes some of the fun out of it!

Naomi said...

Jillian, thanks for posting the pictures! Sounds like a great trip. I love that you are in charge of Secret Santa plans. And at some point in the next year and a half I'll have to talk to you about driving & diabetes.

Wasn't that wind yesterday fun?

Allison said...

Jillian! Happy Black Friday! Sounds like you had an awesome Thanksgiving!

Donna said...

Jillian,
I'm glad you had a nice thanksgiving with your family.

I'm thankful you're here also. I enjoy reading your blog. It reminds me of my teenage years.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jillian. Love the photos!

Anonymous said...

happy (late) thanksgiving! looks like you had a good one.. For some reason I want to listen to nsync again after reading this post! :P

Cara said...

Ahhhhh! It's another Cara! I have met 2 in my entire life. I love it. :)